TLRP’s Research Capacity Building Network, based in at Cardiff University from 2001 to 2005, provided a wide range of activities, events and resources.
RCBN was commissioned to:
- review the research expertise within the Programme and beyond and identify opportunities for adding value and collaboration;
- support research capacity building activities and training within the Programme;
- disseminate ideas and training on capacity building for the wider research community, including active researchers in ‘user’ and ‘practitioner’ communities.
Particular priorities were:
- the development of skills in the design, conduct and management of quantitative studies, including experimental, quasi-experimental and survey techniques, capable of evaluating the effects of teaching and learning upon learners’ attainment across various contexts,
- enhancing the theoretical and conceptual bases for such studies;
- the articulation / combination of qualitative approaches with quantitative studies;
- the greater utilisation of inter-disciplinary theories and methods;
- the transformation of research based knowledge through to its embodiment in practices relevant to enhancing learner attainment.
Resources arising from these activities are available on the archive of the Cardiff RCBN website. Of particular interest are: activities by theme; links and resources. The later phases of TLRP’s capacity building work built on RCBN’s foundation.