- Dearing Reports: 1994, National Curriculum and its Assessment, London: SCAA; 1996, Review of Qualifications for 16-19 Year Olds, London: SCAA; 1997, Higher Education in the Learning Society, Leeds: NCIHE
- Moser, C., 1990, Presidential Address to the British Association for the Advancement of Science.
- Popper, K., quoted in a letter to the Guardian from R.C.Mountain, 24.11.2010
- Wedge, P. and Prosser, H., 1973, Born to Fail, London: Arrow Books, in association with the National Child Development Bureau.
- See in particular Swann Report, 1995, Education for All, London: HMSO
- See the report on child poverty, Equality and Human Rights Commission, 2010, How Fair is Britain?
- DfES, 2003, Every Child Matters, London: Stationery Office.
- See Field, F., 3.12.2010, Commissioned Report to the Prime Minister on Poverty
- Leitch Review, 2003, Prosperity for All in the Global Economy: World Class Skills, London: H.M. Treasury.
- Roberts Report, 2002, SET for Success: the Supply of People with Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths Skills
- NICEF Report, 2007, Child Poverty in Perspective: an Overview of Child Well-being in Rich Countries, Florence: UNICEF Innocenti Research Centre.
- This Foresight Report is an outcome of the Mental Capital and Wellbeing Project from the Government Office for Science. It was written by Feinstein, L., Vorhaus, J., and Sabates, R., Centre for the Wider Benefits of Learning, Institute of Education, University of London.
- Sylva, K., Melhuish, E., Siraj-Blatchford, I., and Taggart, B., 2004, The Effective Provision of Pre-School Education (EPPE) Project. Final Report. London: DfES.
- Plowden Report, 1967, Children and their Primary Schools, London: Central Advisory Council for Education (England).
- Bartlett, F.C. (1932), Remembering: An Experimental and Social Study. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- For example, Piaget, J., & Inhelder, B. 1973. Memory and intelligence. London: Routledge and Kegan Paul.
- For example: Vygotsky, L. S., 1962, Thought and Language. Cambridge, MIT Press. And 1978, Mind in Society: the2 development of higher psychological processes. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
- Whorf, B. (1956), John B. Carroll (ed.), ed., Language, Thought, and Reality: Selected Writings of Benjamin Lee Whorf, MIT Press.
- Higham, J. and Yeoman, D., 2006, Emerging Provision and Practice in 14-19 Education and Training, DfES Research Report 737, Nottingham: DfES.
- Tasker, M., 2003, Smaller Structures in Secondary Education: A Research Digest, Bristol: Human Scale Education.
- See Tyler, R., 1947, Basic Principles of Curriculum and Instruction, University of Chicago Press. Also. Jessop, G., 1991, Outcomes: NVQs and the Emerging Model of Education and Training, London: Falmer Press.
- Bruner, J., 1964, Towards a Theory of Instruction, Harvard University Press.
- The Royal Society – A State of the Nation Report, 2008, Science and Mathematics Education, 14-19, London: The Royal Society
- Moser Report, 1999, A Fresh Start – Improving Literacy and Numeracy, London: DfEE
- Children, Schools and Families Select Committee, Feb. 2010, Report into Teacher Training, London: DfE.
- Stanton, G., 2008, Learning Matters: Making the 14-19 Reforms Work for Learners, London: CfBT Education Trust.
- see Harlen, W., The Role of Teachers in Assessment for Learning, London: Assessment Reform Group, Nuffield Foundation
- The Assessment of Performance Unit (APU) was the major research arm of the Department for Education and Science (DES) during the 1970s and 1980s. Its purpose was to survey school populations to identify levels of national capability. Surveys of English, Mathematics, Science and Modern Foreign Languages were undertaken on a rolling basis.
- Webb Report, 2007, Promise and Performance, Cardiff: Welsh Assembly Government.
- Hadow Report, 1931, The Primary School: Report of the Consultative Committee, London: HMSO; Plowden Report, 1967, Children and their Primary Schools, London: Central Advisory Council for Education (England).